Co-funded: European Solidarity Corps, Volunteering Projects
Period: 01.11.2020 – 31.09.2022
“Community Building” aims at building community cohesion and solidarity by empowering the members of the local community, mainly the youngsters, and engaging them in the process of building a community center in the city. We intend to involve 15 young people from Europe (10 cross-border volunteering and 5 in-border volunteering) in solidarity activities (in the form of volunteering), to involve the community, the citizens in activities of arrangement of the community center, through voluntary actions or donations for the process of transforming/renovating the space (donations materialized only in objects necessary for the arrangement), to arrange and inaugurate the center using the principle of community solidarity and participatory arts, to adapt it to the needs of the community. Afterwards we would like to have a group of 5 volunteers for 12 months to continue the work and to dynamize the space created, by answering the community’s needs in terms of cultural and educational activities for youth, but not exclusively, as we want to encourage intergenerational dialogue and solidarity. At the same time, the project aims to develop transversal skills for young volunteers, skills such as teamwork, sense of initiative, organizing events and communicating in a foreign language.
1. Involvement of 20 young people from European countries, 15 for 59 days and 5 for 12 months, in solidarity (volunteering) activities in a city from Tenerife.
2. Involvement of at least 10 young people with fewer opportunities in solidarity actions in an international context in a city from Tenerife.
3. Involvement of at least 10 (predominantly young) citizens from the community in setting up a community center for a period of 59 days through volunteering supporting the process.
4. Arrangement and inauguration of a community center in 59 days in a city from Tenerife using the principle of community solidarity and participatory arts and piloting the first activities together with the community.
5. Setting up a community center in which to develop activities for young people with fewer opportunities in order to make their social inclusion process more efficiently.
6. Involvement of 5 young people from European countries for 12 months in organizing activities in the newly built community center, engaging young people in non-formal education workshops regarding human rights, sustainable goals, personal development, youth participation and healthy alternatives of leisure activities for youth.
7. The development of transversal competences for 30 young people from Europe and Spain, focusing on: teamwork skills, initiative sense, event organization and communication in a foreign language.
The Building Up – For 59 days, 4th of May – 1st of July 2021, 15 volunteers from european countries and Tenerife will work together with the community to arrange a municipality building from Barranco Grande – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, turning it into a community center and to pilot the first activities together with the community.
Community Boost – For 12 months, 1st of July 2021 – 30th of June 2022, five volunteers will integrate in the local community of Barranco Grande – Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and dynamize activities in the newly opened community center, engaging the general population, especially young people, in alternative free time activities and non-formal education workshops regarding topics like sustainable goals, human rights, personal development and youth participation.